What will I do on this course?
The course covers a broad range of basic practical Floristry skills and knowledge (see below). You will receive supportive feedback. The course is graded at Pass, Merit or Distinction. There is the opportunity to progress onto a level 2 course in floristry at South Bristol Skills Academy the following year.
- Health & safety at work
- Carry out basic floristry tasks
- Identify flowers, foliages and plants
- Produce and maintain shop displays
- Assemble basic floral designs
- Produce planted designs
- Improving your own performance
- A period of work experience within the floristry industry
Who is it for?
The floristry industry offers exciting and creative opportunities locally, nationally and internationally. Work opportunities exist for self - motivated and enthusiastic people who wish to work as floral assistants or to become self-employed floral designers. Whether you did well at school or not we would like to hear from you. Possible employment opportunities include:
- Working in a florist shop
- Self-employed florist
- Working in event floristry
How Is this course assessed?
You will be assessed through: Regular portfolio assessment throughout the year, by which you will always know how you are progressing on course and given many opportunities to improve your performance. Assessments in English and Maths at a level appropriate to you. These are taken in small groups in classrooms
What could I do next?
Students can progress onto the following courses:
- Level 2 Floristry
- Level 2 Diploma in Work Based Horticulture (Apprenticeship)
- Level 2 RHS Certificate in the Principles of Horticulture
- Level 2 RHS Certificate in Practical Horticulture
It will be necessary to supply your own writing materials and folders.
Equipment £30.00 ( Floristry scissors , Secateurs )
Uniform £ 25.00 ( Polo shirt and Apron)
Fresh materials £150.00
Eligible students will be able to apply to the college Learner Support Fund for help with these course costs.
You can enrol directly onto this course at Learner Services subject to providing evidence of meeting the course requirements.