Course overviewCertificate in English Language Teaching to Adults (CELTA) City of Bristol College
This long-running course is now available as an online course as well as face-to-face, and leads to the Cambridge CELTA (Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults). The qualification is recognised by the British Council, VSO, and language schools in Britain and abroad. Our two September start courses will be run entirely online – you will supported throughout to learn and complete your teaching practice sessions using an online platform.
Why choose CELTA at City of Bristol College?
- The CELTA course qualifies for an Advanced Learner Loan
- Long-running, well-established & respected courses delivered either online or face to face
- Be part of our lively, multi-cultural college community with students from a variety of ESOL and EFL backgrounds
- Highly experienced and knowledgeable tutors who support you through every stage of the course
- Studying part-time will give you more time for background reading, lesson planning and assimilation of ideas
- You’ll have access to our Study Centres with a wide range of resources.
- Student discounts with your City of Bristol College student card
Who is this course for?
The course is suitable for those who wish to teach English Language to adults either in the UK or abroad.
We have consistently received positive feedback from our trainees. Here are some of their comments:
- “I have thoroughly enjoyed the CELTA. I have never learnt so much in such a short space of time. The tutors are exceptional at what they do and supported us in our journey to becoming English language teachers. I have also made some great friends.”
- “It was a great experience that has provided a solid foundation for a future of teaching which feels exciting and promising.”
- “Very supportive tutors. Expectations were made clear. Tutors were helpful and encouraging.”
- “Very well-structured course. Realistic expectations from the outset.”
What you'll learn
You will learn all the essential skills and knowledge you need to teach English to adults.
You get hands-on teaching practice and observation of experienced teachers, applying your learning in the classroom with English language learners.
- Six hours of teaching practice, six hours of observations of experienced teachers
- Four written assignments
- Lesson planning
- Observations of experienced teachers and peers
- Input sessions with tutors
- Background reading
The five main topics are:
- Learners and teachers, and the teaching and learning context
- Language analysis and awareness
- Language skills: reading, listening, speaking and writing
- Planning and resources for different teaching contexts
- Developing teaching skills and professionalism
Course entry requirements
- A minimum of two A levels is desirable
- A degree is helpful but not essential
- Minimum age 20
- Overseas students must have IELTS 7.0 or equivalent (Common European Framework Reference – CEFR – C2 level)
You are required to attend an interview for this course. You will complete a pre-interview task and a further task during the interview where your language awareness, standard of written English, practical potential and interactive skills will be assessed.
How is the course delivered and assessed?
You’ll be taught by highly-experienced tutors.
We will assess your performance holistically, based on the progress you make on the course. To receive the qualification, you need to complete the course and meet the assessment criteria for teaching practice and the four written assignments.
Future career and study opportunities
You could go on to teach English as a foreign language in the UK and abroad.
No additional costs beyond the course fee of £1417. Full amount to be paid before the start of the course.
An Advanced Learner Loan is available for this course.
For guidance on which career path to take, to explore career options related to our courses, find out which careers are in demand, and then get the training you need.
Dates and applications
Please hover over the ‘i’ button to find out more about course fees and applications.
|Course Code||Dates||Duration||Days||Hours per week||Start Time||Location||Fee|
|FGP0495A01-1||10/01/2023 - 23/03/2023||10 weeks||Date/Day(s) Being Finalised||15.00||09:00||College Green Centre||Apply|