What will I do on this course?
You will enjoy 76 hours of college based teaching with home study of an hour or two each week. This course can be taken during the day or in the evening.You need to be committed to the assessment work as it is handed in each week, we need and expect you to work to this deadline.The course comprises two units of study:
Unit 1: Counselling: Skill Acquisition and practice
- Invites you to develop your understanding of what counselling is
- You will explore, and experience using, Egan's Three Stage Model of therapeutic process
- You will learn how to use a range of counselling skills and will practice these within role plays
- You have the opportunity to develop a sensitive awareness of how to experience the core conditions and qualities that support a helping relationship
Unit 2: Working with grief and loss
- You will think about many forms of loss for example loss of a job, relationship breakdown, loss of home, change of environment as well as bereavement
- You will consider the impact that loss and grief has on each of us
- You will develop your skills in relation to theory by thinking about and learning from the theoretical models that support this work -
- Kubler-Ross, Worden, Murray-Parkes and Stroebe & Schut
- This interesting unit is designed to provide you with the opportunity to study and practice
- the application of counselling skills within a specialised context
- You will develop an awareness of the particular need to monitor the health & safety of vulnerable clients
- You will also consider the potential impact this work has on counsellors
- Emphasis is placed upon developing an awareness of health & safety issues in promoting safe and ethical practice
Who is it for?
Counselling skills are useful in many professional / voluntary roles where interactions between people occur. This award does not provide students with a professional qualification to practice as a counsellor but provides a sound basis both for those who wish to begin practitioner training and for those who wish to develop the use of counselling skills in a non-counselling role.
How to apply
Call: 0117 312 5000
How Is this course assessed?
You will experience different assessment methods. You will write a short, weekly personal journal linked to your experience on the course. You will also write about the different course criteria and undertake two practical assessments. The exam will take place at a different venue during the day time on a different day to the course. You will need to book a day off work in preparation for the exam. We will be given the date at the beginning of the course.
The course tutor will advise of relevant texts and materials at the beginning of the course.