About the course
Do you want to find full time paid work, but need some extra support to get there? Bristol Supported Internship Programme will help you gain skills that will prepare you for a paid job.
Bristol Supported Internship Programme is a Supported Internship run by Bristol City Council, Sixteen Co-Operative Ltd and City of Bristol College working in partnership.
Young people applying to Supported Internships should:
- Agree that their goal is to work full time in paid employment at the end of the internship.
- Be aged between 16 and 24 years on 1st Sept 2018.
- Have received additional support at school/college because of a learning disability** and/or autism, and have an Education, Health & Care Plan.
- Meet UK residency requirements (have been living in the UK or European Union for the last 3 years)
- Have independent personal hygiene and grooming skills
- Maintain appropriate behaviour and social skills in the workplace
- Be able to communicate effectively, take direction from supervisors and modify performance
- Be willing to use public transport independently on familiar routes and do travel training to learn new routes if needed
- Have previous experience in a work environment (including work experience, voluntary or paid work)
- Be able to pass a DBS check if necessary and any other checks required by the host employer
** Note: the term ‘learning disability’ is used to describe people who have:
- A significantly reduced ability to understand new or complex information or learn new skills, and a reduced ability to cope independently which started before adulthood and will have a lasting effect on development
- If you wish to apply to Bristol Supported Internships you will get advice and help with applying for an Education, Health & Care Plan.
Before joining Bristol Supported Internship Programme you will need to come to an informal selection day, and have a discussion to make sure this is the right choice for you. You will also need to have an Education Health & Care Plan (EHCP). We can support you to apply for an assessment for an EHCP when you enquire about Bristol Supported Internship Programme.