Frequently Asked Questions

How can I be sure that my son/daughter will achieve their learning goals?

All full-time students complete an Individual Learning Plan (ILP) during their induction. This is reviewed regularly with each student’s personal tutor, who will monitor your son/daughter’s overall progress and set short and long-term goals. The ILP also helps us identify any additional assistance required.

Every student receives a copy of their timetable at the start of the year. College hours are different from school and students will have time for private study when they are not in lessons. Assignments, coursework and additional reading requirements will vary from course to course, but it is important that students keep up with the work set and meet their deadlines.

Does my son/daughter have to attend every day?

Students are expected to attend all sessions regularly and on time, although some students will not have lessons on every day. A register is taken at the start of every lesson and the course tutor will follow up absences or lateness. College expectations about attendance and punctuality are covered in the student’s induction, and we ask parents and carers to support us by ensuring that students do not miss their lessons.

If a student is unwell please telephone the College and let the Tutor or Faculty Administrator know as soon as possible. Persistent absence will mean that the student is unable to succeed in their course and may lead to disciplinary procedures.

Does the College have a Code of Conduct?

Yes. All full-time students will be asked to sign the College Code of Conduct. This sets out guidelines on student behaviour and conduct, both on their course and around the College. Students who break the Code of Conduct will be subject to College disciplinary procedures and parents/carers may need to be involved.

Will I receive feedback on my son’s/daughter’s progress?

Yes, provided that the College has your son’s/daughter’s consent for this recorded on the system. They may indicate their consent on the enrolment form, or inform the College later on of who the College may discuss with about their College matters. You will then be invited to attend regular parents’ evenings to discuss your child’s progress. All students will receive end-of-year reports including predicted grades if appropriate. We encourage you to support your son or daughter throughout their time with us and we value your input and feedback. You are welcome to contact us or phone on 0117 312 5000 if you would prefer an informal telephone chat. Please note that we can only discuss their matters with you if they have given their consent.

Do College students go on to university?

Last year many of our students were accepted onto Degree courses at universities across the UK, including Oxford. Students have also taken a range of qualifications at the College, from A Levels to BTEC National Diplomas and Advanced Diplomas. All of these are allocated UCAS points to enable university entry.

The College supports all students with UCAS applications and personal statements, and students have the opportunity to attend UCAS fairs and University open days. In addition, students can apply to study more than 40 university level courses here at the College in partnership with University of the West of England, Bath Spa University, University of Gloucestershire and Plymouth University.

Find out more about our university partners

Will I have to pay for the course?

There are no tuition fees for students aged 16-18 who meet the standard residency criteria, although students may be required to buy specialist equipment or pay for activities and residential trips. However, some financial support may be available to help meet some of these costs. Learner Services can give you more information on possible support such as Vulnerable Students Bursaries, and the Learner Support Fund. Even if your son/daughter qualifies for travel cost support, they will be expected to make a contribution.

Can I continue to receive Child Benefit?

You can still get Child Benefit after your child turns 16 if they are in certain types of education or training. For further information please visit