Higher Education students

If you are finding any aspect of course-work difficult, you should seek advice from your tutor in the first instance. Your tutor may suggest that you contact Study Plus where you can access up to 10 hours of study support. Wherever possible, study support is delivered to small groups of two or three students.

Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSA) for HE Students

If you are applying for a degree-level course and have an identified disability and/or learning difficulty you may be entitled to DSA, for example if you have:

  • long-term health condition
  • mental health condition
  • specific learning difficulty like dyslexia or dyspraxia

DSA provides additional funding for individual support packages; this can include 1:1 support, resources and/or equipment.

We can liaise with teaching staff to implement Reasonable Adjustments within the classroom, signpost services and provide a range of support services for eligible students.

To discuss individual requirements please contact us:


What might I get?

The DSA is to help fund the costs of:

  • Specialist equipment, like computer software.
  • One-to-one specialist study skills tutor.
  • Non-medical helpers, like a mentor.
  • Extra travel costs you have to pay because of your disability.

DSAs don't cover costs that any student might have or disability-related costs that you would have if you weren’t a student.

In your first year as a full-time student, DSA will provide support for you up to the value or £27,678. This is the maximum amount you might get, most students get less. You'll get slightly less each year after that (or if you are a part-time or postgraduate student). The amount you get is based on your individual needs and is not means-tested. DSAs are paid on top of your student finance and you don't have to pay them back.

How do I find out more?

All the information about disabled students’ allowances is available on the GOV.UK website.

How do I apply?

You need to apply via Student Finance England for DSA. You can download the form DSA 1 from the GOV.UK website.

Specific learning difficulties

Our aim is to provide a comprehensive service to meet the needs of students with specific learning difficulties, such as dyslexia and dyspraxia.

If you have a specific learning difficulty or think you have, we can offer:

  • An initial questionnaire to help us to find out more about your difficulties and how they affect your learning.
  • Computer-based screening, which will show if there are sufficient difficulties to explore further.
  • A one-to-one consultation with a specialist tutor, for advice and guidance
  • A full diagnostic assessment, if appropriate (there is a charge for this)
  • Advice and support to apply the Disabled Students Allowance (DSA).

What to do first

Call into Study Plus at your centre and complete a questionnaire. You can take it away to complete if you wish.  Your questionnaire will be reviewed by one of our specialist tutors, who will then contact you to discuss and make a screening appointment.

To find out more contact us by emailing:


What are the rates for non-medical helpers?

Period covered - 09/12/2019 through to 31/12/2020

The City of Bristol College do not provide distance learning or remote delivery

Non-Medical Helpers Rates