Personal Issues and Counselling

Your health and welfare are really important to us. Making the transition into studying at College can be a challenging time and we want to make sure that the right support is available to you, whenever you need it.

If you're experiencing personal problems and are worried about how this is affecting your studies, one of our experienced Student Advisers is always on hand to talk with you.

Our team are all friendly, approachable and great listeners. They can help you make sense of any difficulties you may be having. For example, you may be:

  • suffering from low self-esteem, anxiety or a lack of self-confidence
  • experiencing problems with relationships
  • worried about your sexuality
  • falling behind with College work and finding it hard to concentrate
  • feeling down, unmotivated or worried about the future
  • facing difficult decisions, like whether to leave home
  • having problems with drugs or alcohol (we can refer you to specialist counsellors)
  • experiencing sleeping problems
  • worried about your appearance

All of these problems are hard to go through alone. If you're feeling isolated and unsure of who to turn to, come and talk to us.

Call 0117 312 5000, email or fill in our contact form.

Counselling Service

If our Student Adviser thinks that you're having a particularly difficult time, he/she can refer you to our free, confidential counselling service.

Counselling can often be the best way to overcome your problems, and find new ways to manage your situation more effectively so that you can return to studying successfully again.

Our counselling service helps full-time students or those on substantial part-time courses. If you are referred, you'll be offered six counselling sessions at your most convenient centre, at the same time every week.

All our counsellors are trained and qualified, with experience from the counselling organisation Off the Record. They all work within the British Association for Counselling (BAC) code of ethics.

If you don't qualify for counselling, then don't worry, you can still continue to talk to one of our Student Advisers. We can also refer you to an external agency if necessary. Remember you can always contact your GP too, to discuss any problems affecting your health.

To find out more about our counselling service, call 0117 312 5000, email or fill in our contact form.

The C-card Scheme

Did you know that if you’re under 25, you can get free condoms through Bristol’s C-card scheme?

To register, you just need to have a confidential chat with a trained C-card worker, who will explain the scheme to you, teach you the best way to use condoms and answer any questions you might have. You needn’t give your name and the service is completely confidential. No one will tell your parents/guardians that you have accessed the scheme.

Once you’ve registered, you can go to any C-card pick up point around Bristol and get free condoms when you show your C-card. You can do this up to ten times before needing to get a new card.

To find out more about the C-card scheme, call 0117 312 5000, email or ask at reception for more information.

Brook Clinic

If you're under 25 and worried about sex, relationships, contraception, sexuality or body issues, then you can get free and confidential sexual health advice at Brook Clinic, the sexual health charity.

To find out more, call 0808 802 1234, visit