Personal problems and counselling


​If you are experiencing personal problems and are worried about how this is affecting your College work, you can speak to a student adviser.

They can talk through any difficulties you may be having and try to help you make sense of them. For example:

  • Low self esteem, anxiety or lack of confidence
  • Problems with relationships or sexuality
  • Getting behind with College work or finding it hard to concentrate
  • A lack of motivation, feeling down or worries about the future
  • Difficult decisions e.g. leaving home
  • Problems with drugs or alcohol (we can refer you to specialist counsellors)
  • Sleeping problems
  • Worries about appearance

If you’re not sure who to turn to it’s always worth coming to see one of our friendly student advisers.

Counselling service

The College’s counselling service offers free, confidential counselling. This service can help you overcome difficulties and complete your studies successfully. Initially you will see a student adviser and if appropriate you will be referred to the counselling service.

Can I have counselling?

The service helps full-time students or those on substantial part-time courses. If referred, you will be offered six counselling sessions at your most convenient centre at the same time every week.

All our counsellors are trained and qualified, with experience from the counselling organisation Off the Record. And all work within the British Association for Counselling (BAC) code of ethics.

What if I don’t qualify?

You can still come and talk to a student adviser. We will do our best to help you and refer you to an external agency if necessary. You can also contact your GP directly to discuss any problems affecting your health.

More information

Whatever the problem, we are here to help. Call 0117 312 5000 or email

You can also fill in our enquiry form.