Course overviewBritish Sign Language (BSL) Level 2 City of Bristol College
A British Sign Language (BSL) course for adults in Bristol.
This course is designed to enable you to develop the skills to communicate with deaf people. You will learn how to use BSL in a range of familiar and work-related situations, participating in longer and more open-ended exchanges than Level 1 BSL.
To get the most from your studies, it is essential that you commit to attending all classes and to practice in your own time to reinforce your learning.
Who is this course for?
The Level 2 Certificate in BSL is suitable for those who:
- Wish to acquire language skills at an intermediate level to enhance communication with deaf people
- Are deaf and wish to gain a qualification in their native language
- Are family, friends and colleagues of deaf people
- Wish to progress from Level 1 study in BSL and who may wish to progress to more advanced levels of study.
The course is for adults aged 19+.
What you'll learn
This course focuses on developing your receptive and productive skills and understanding through topics such as everyday conversation, eating and drinking, spending and shopping, travel and holidays.
You will learn through a variety of activities that include the group as a whole, smaller groups or working in pairs.
Course entry requirements
To join this course, you will need:
- To have completed and passed BSL Level 1 Units 101, 102 and 103 or have experience communicating in sign language.
- A commitment to attending all classes.
- To be prepared to undertake an additional 50 hours of study to include private study, homework and practice.
How is the course delivered and assessed?
You will be assessed in a variety of ways:
- For receptive skills, you will be tested by watching a narrative presented in BSL on a DVD and answering 12 multiple choice questions.
- For productive skills, you will ‘sign’ a presentation on video based on a selected topic.
- For conversational skills, the teacher will conduct a conversation with you which will be recorded.
All will be marked by an external examiner.
Future career and study opportunities
Successful candidates can progress to the Signature Level 3 Certificate in BSL (not currently offered by the College).
As a City of Bristol College student, you may incur additional costs to attend your course. For example, it is likely you may need to pay for travel and stationery.
Many courses offer learning opportunities that you may need to pay for. This may include things like study visits and visiting speakers. We will let you know in advance if there will be additional costs.
If you are on a limited income, you may be able to receive help from our Learner Support Funding Bursary.
To keep everyone safe, we’ve reduced the number of people in our buildings at one time. Most of our courses include sessions taught at the college supported by online learning.
Fees and applications
Please hover over the ‘i’ button to find out more about course fees and applications.
|Course Code||Dates||Duration||Days||Hours per week||Start Time||Location||Fee|
|LBP1164A01-1||05/01/2021 - 13/07/2021||1 years||Tues||3.00||09:30||Ashley Down Centre||Enquire|
|LGE1164A01-1||17/11/2020 - 04/07/2021||1 years||Tues||3.00||17:45||College Green Centre||Enquire|