Course overviewBritish Sign Language (BSL) Level 2 City of Bristol College
This course is designed to enable you to develop the skills to communicate with deaf people. You will learn how to use BSL in various familiar and work-related situations, participating in longer and more open-ended exchanges than British Sign Language Level 1.
To get the most from your studies, it is essential that you commit to attending all classes and practise in your own time to reinforce your learning.
Who is this course for?
The Level 2 certificate in BSL is suitable for those who:
- Wish to acquire language skills at an intermediate level to enhance communication with deaf people
- Are deaf and wish to gain a qualification in their native language
- Are family, friends and colleagues of deaf people
- Wish to progress from British Sign Language Level 1 and who may wish to progress to more advanced levels of study
- The course is for adults aged 19+
What you'll learn
This course focuses on developing your receptive and productive skills and understanding through topics such as everyday conversation, eating and drinking, spending and shopping, travel and holidays.
You will learn through a variety of activities that include the group as a whole, smaller groups or working in pairs.
Course entry requirements
4 GCSEs at Grade 3 or above including Maths and/or English or a Level 1 Diploma in a relevant subject plus GCSEs in Maths and/or English, or a Functional Skills qualification in Maths and/or English.
We will invite you to a Course information meeting event where you will receive information, advice, and guidance about the course you have applied for. This will be an opportunity for you to gain valuable information about the course and give you the opportunity to ask any questions you may have.
You will provide a copy of your last school report and/or a reference from an employer or relevant professional other. This is to ensure we can support you to be able to achieve well on the course.
Some Level 2 Technical qualifications may require a slightly higher entry requirement based on the specific content of the course. This may include having English or Maths at Grade 4
We are firmly committed to finding the right course for you to ensure that you can flourish.
Talk to us today if you have any concerns about the application process; we are here to help take you to the next level.
You also need:
- To have completed and passed British Sign Language Level 1 Units 101, 102 and 103 or have experience communicating in sign language
- A commitment to attending all classes
- To be prepared to undertake an additional 50 hours of study including private study, homework and practice
How is the course delivered and assessed?
This course is delivered on college site.
You will be assessed in a variety of ways:
- For receptive skills, you will be tested by watching a narrative presented in BSL on a DVD and answering 12 multiple choice questions
- For productive skills, you will ‘sign’ a presentation on video based on a selected topic
- For conversational skills, the teacher will conduct a conversation with you which will be recorded
All will be marked by an external examiner.
Future career and study opportunities
Successful candidates can progress to the Signature Level 3 Certificate in British Sign Language with an alternative provider.
As a City of Bristol College student, you may incur additional costs to attend your course. For example, it is likely you may need to pay for travel and stationery.
Many courses offer learning opportunities that you may need to pay for. This may include things like study visits and visiting speakers. We will let you know in advance if there will be additional costs.
If you are on a limited income, you may be able to receive help from our Learner Support Funding Bursary.
For guidance on which career path to take, to explore career options related to our courses, find out which careers are in demand, and then get the training you need.