Course overviewCertificate in English Language Teaching to Adults (CELTA) Online City of Bristol College
Online CELTA involves an induction evening, 6 hours of teaching practice onsite over 9 sessions and 6 hours of observations of experienced teachers. You will be assessed on your teaching practice and four written assignments. Course units, background reading and lesson planning are carried out at home. The final qualification is identical to that awarded for the face-to-face course.
Why choose CELTA at City of Bristol College?
- Long-running, well-established courses at either our College Green or Ashley Down site
- Be part of our lively, multi-cultural college community with students from a variety of ESOL and EFL backgrounds
- Highly experienced and knowledgeable tutors who support you through every stage of the course
- Part-time delivery allowing a richer learning experience with more time for background reading, lesson planning and assimilation of ideas
- Well-equipped classrooms with interactive whiteboards
- Study centre with a wide range of resources
- Student discounts with your City of Bristol College student card
Who is it for?
The course is suitable for those who wish to teach EFL or ESOL, but would find it difficult to attend regular classroom sessions.
We have consistently received positive feedback from our trainees. Here are some of their comments:
- I have thoroughly enjoyed the CELTA. I have never learnt so much in such a short space of time. The tutors are exceptional at what they do and supported us in our journey to becoming English language teachers. I have also made some great friends.
- It was a great experience that has provided a solid foundation for a future of teaching which feels exciting and promising.
- Very supportive tutors. Expectations were made clear. Tutors were helpful and encouraging.
- Very well-structured course. Realistic expectations from the outset.
What you'll learn
- Six hours of teaching practice, six hours of observations of experienced teachers
- Lesson planning
- Four written assignments
- Online course units and discussion forums
- ‘Classlive’ sessions (input lessons with tutors)
- Background reading
- A minimum of 2 A levels is desirable
- A degree is helpful but not essential
- Minimum age 20
- Overseas students must have IELTS 7.0 or equivalent (Common European Framework Reference – CEFR – C2 level)
You are required to attend an interview for this course. You will complete a pre-interview task and a further task during the interview where your language awareness, standard of written English, practical potential and interactive skills will be assessed.
How is the course delivered and assessed?
We will assess your performance holistically, based on the progress you make on the course. To receive the qualification, you need to complete the course and meet the assessment criteria for teaching practice and the four written assignments.
Future career and study opportunities
You could go on to teach English as a foreign language in the UK and abroad.
An Advanced Learner Loan is available for this course.
No additional costs beyond the course fee. Full amount to be paid before the start of the course.
To keep our students and staff safe, we’re reducing the number of people in our buildings at one time.
To achieve this, most of our courses will include sessions taught at the college supported by online learning to help you reach your full potential.
Find out more about how we’ve adapted due to COVID-19.
Fees and applications
Please hover over the ‘i’ button to find out more about course fees and applications.
|Course Code||Dates||Duration||Days||Hours per week||Start Time||Location||Fee|
|FTD0495A01-1||07/09/2020 - 01/02/2021||18 weeks||Mon||6.00||09:30||Offsite||Enquire|