Course overviewCommunity Development Level 2 City of Bristol College
This one year, part-time course has been designed for individuals who are keen to get the most out of their volunteering or community work, and develop specialist knowledge for jobs and careers in the charity and public sector.
The qualification is recognised professionally under NOS (National Occupational Standards) and offers an in-depth look at community development and what it means. Being part of this course will allow you to develop the effectiveness of your community work or volunteering role.
Who is it for?
This course is for people who wish to find work in community roles or professionally develop in the sector. You may be interested in building a career in Community Development or wish to enhance your skills and achieve a professional qualification.
You should be actively engaged in your local community.
What you'll learn
The course content is diverse and wide-ranging. You will:
- Learn how to be proactive and powerful within your community
- Understand how to lead groups and deal with common issues and challenges
- Understand policies, professional expectations and industry standards
- Develop self-reflective practice and professional communication strategies
- Understand how theories and politics affects the sector
- Understand how people learn and how they engage in community activities
- Conduct a community social science research project
- Learn from guest speakers involved in inspiring community work
You may be able to take advantage of short placement opportunities to accompany the Bristol City Council Community Development Team in their work.
Your suitability will be assessed for the course based on the following:
- To join the course you must be aged 19+
- Be able to work at Level 1 or above in English
- You have to be actively volunteering or involved in community work as some assignments require practical work in a community-based context
- You must be able to fully commit to the duration of the course. This includes self-study time and completing work at home.
You may progress to this course from the Level 1 Community Development Award.
How is the course delivered and assessed?
This course is portfolio-based. There will be a range of different assignments to complete, and you have to be able to study outside of the sessions and manage your time effectively. You will need to complete a research project in the community. There are no exams.
Future career and study opportunities
You can progress onto higher-level courses in social/ health care, teaching, youth work and other community roles.
You may go into direct employment in a community-associated role.
As a City of Bristol College student, you may incur additional costs to attend your course. For example, it is likely you may need to pay for travel, stationery and visits.
To keep our students and staff safe, we’re reducing the number of people in our buildings at one time.
To achieve this, most of our courses will include sessions taught at the college supported by online learning to help you reach your full potential.
Find out more about how we’ve adapted due to COVID-19.
Fees and applications
Please hover over the ‘i’ button to find out more about course fees and applications.
|Course Code||Dates||Duration||Days||Hours per week||Start Time||Location||Fee|
|LBP0621B01-1||22/09/2020 - 15/06/2021||1 years||Tues||6.00||10:00||Ashley Down Centre||Enquire|