Course overviewFurniture Making level 1 City of Bristol College
This is a practical-based qualification that develops making, polishing and machining skills and offers a basic craft introduction to the Furniture Making industry.
The course gives you the opportunity to study both the knowledge and practical aspects of Furniture Making at Level 1 and it covers the basic aspects of cabinet making, wood machining and wood finishing.
This course runs parallel with the Carpentry and Joinery Level 1 Diploma course. Please note you will be studying on both courses as they are mandatory for your qualification.
Who is this course for?
This course is suitable for learners who have a keen interest to learn knowledge and skills to start a career in Furniture Making.
What you'll learn
The practical work consists of a series of small yet involved mini projects in the first stage of the course, and culminates in the student making a small item of furniture.
- Health and safety within furniture and furnishing making environments
- Tools and equipment in furniture making and furnishings
- Materials in furniture making and furnishings
- Furniture making by hand
- Preparation and wood finishing methods in furniture making
- Using machinery to cut, plane, mould and joint furniture components
Course entry requirements
To join this course, students will need the following:
- An initial assessment at Level 1 or above in Maths and English
- A good record of attendance and commitment at school or college
- Able to demonstrate a high degree of enthusiasm and a commitment to succeed and prepare effectively for employment
- GCSEs in Maths and English at Grade 3 (D) or above
- An excellent record of attendance and commitment at school/college
- A strong commitment to adopt a ‘work ready’ approach, taking responsibility for your own development and behaviour
How is the course delivered and assessed?
You will be assessed in a number of different ways and receive regular feedback in reviews to guide your progress. Some of the ways in which your success will be measured are:
- Online assessments
- Practical assessments
- Portfolio work
Future career and study opportunities
On successful completion of the course you may be able to progress to the Level 2 Diploma in Furniture Making. You could also apply for an Apprenticeship in the Furniture Making industry.
You will need protective footwear and a high visibility vest for practical sessions.
As a City of Bristol College student, you may incur additional costs to attend your course. For example, it is likely you may need to pay for travel and stationery.
Many courses offer learning opportunities that you may need to pay for. This may include things like study visits and visiting speakers. We will let you know in advance if there will be additional costs.
If you are on a limited income, you may be able to receive help from our Learner Support Funding Bursary.
To keep everyone safe, we’ve reduced the number of people in our buildings at one time. Most of our courses include sessions taught at the college supported by online learning.