Course overviewIntroduction to Culinary Skills Level 1 for adults City of Bristol College
The Level 1 Certificate in Introduction to Culinary Skills is a practical, employment-related course.
It’s a 6 month, vocational course that will give you an overview of:
- working in catering and hospitality industry
The course is for adults aged 19 + who want to begin the career in hospitality and catering. You will attend College for one and half days per week for 6 months.
Who is this course for?
Level 1 Certificate in Introduction to Culinary Skills course is suitable for people:
- who want to learn the practical and professional skills required in the hospitality and catering industry.
- who prefer hands-on learning. You will be taught though practical sessions and we will support you through the theory aspects of the course.
This course is for adults aged 19+
What you'll learn
This qualification covers the knowledge and skills you will need to progress to further learning and training, or to enter work as a professional chef. You will learn many of the techniques used in professional cookery, including:
- boiling, poaching and steaming.
- stewing and braising.
- baking, roasting and grilling.
- deep frying and shallow frying.
- cold food preparation.
You will also learn:
- the structure of professional kitchens and the principles of working as a professional chef.
- how knives, tools and equipment are used in professional kitchens.
- how to work safely and hygienically.
Course entry requirements
To join this course you will need:
- GCSE Grade 2 in English and maths OR a BKSB initial assessment result which indicates you are working at level 1 In Maths and English
- Interest in the catering and hospitality sector as a job.
- Ability to work in a team.
How is the course delivered and assessed?
Future career and study opportunities
You are likely to be able to find work with a variety of employers in the hospitality industry, such as:
- Chain/branded restaurants or outlets
- Cafes/coffee shops
- Chain pubs or bars
- Budget hotels or bed and breakfasts
- Retailers (e.g. department stores)
- Public sector catering (e.g. schools, colleges, universities, hospitals, care homes)
- Employers’ staff restaurants
- Holiday parks and resorts
- Event caterers (e.g. sports events, music festivals).
As a City of Bristol College student, you may incur additional costs to attend your course.
To join a catering course, you will need to purchase a uniform pack. This pack contains:
- chef white
- selection of knifes and other relevant small equipment
- safety shoes
- restaurant uniform.
The cost of this pack is discussed at interview stage.
If you are on a limited income, you may be able to receive help from our Learner Support Funding Bursary.
To keep everyone safe, we’ve reduced the number of people in our buildings at one time. Most of our courses include sessions taught at the college supported by online learning.
Fees and applications
Please hover over the ‘i’ button to find out more about course fees and applications.
|Course Code||Dates||Duration||Days||Hours per week||Start Time||Location||Fee|
|LMP1832C01-1||06/01/2021 - 25/06/2021||1 years||Weds & Fri||10.29||09:15||SBSA||Enquire Apply|