Course overviewIntroduction to Culinary Skills Level 1 for school leavers City of Bristol College
The Level 1 Certificate in Introduction to Culinary Skills is a practical, employment-related course.
It’s a one-year, vocational course that will give you an overview of:
- working in catering and hospitality industry
- food and drink service.
The course is for 16-18 year olds who want to begin the career in hospitality and catering. It will give you basic practical culinary skills and understanding.
Who is it for?
Level 1 Certificate in Introduction to Culinary Skills course is suitable for people:
- who want to learn the practical and professional skills required in the hospitality and catering industry.
- who prefer hands-on learning. You will be taught though practical sessions and we will support you through the theory aspects of the course.
This course for school leavers aged 16-18.
What you'll learn
The course covers a range of units. These can include:
- Food safety in catering.
- Introduction to employability in the catering and hospitality industry.
- Health and safety awareness for catering and hospitality.
- Introduction to healthier foods and special diets.
- Introduction to kitchen equipment.
- Prepare and cook food by boiling, poaching and steaming.
- Prepare and cook food by stewing and braising.
- Prepare and cook food by baking, roasting and grilling.
- Regeneration of pre-prepared food.
- Customer service.
- Serving food and beverages.
As a full-time student at City of Bristol College, you will follow a study programme consisting of a vocational course, maths and English, employability skills, work experience, volunteering and tutorial.
To join this course you will need:
- Four GCSEs at Grade 3 or above.
- Interest in the catering and hospitality sector as a job.
- Ability to work in a team.
How is the course delivered and assessed?
Future career and study opportunities
You could progress to the Level 2 Certificate in Culinary Skills.
You may also go on to gain employment within the catering and hospitality industry.
As a City of Bristol College student, you may incur additional costs to attend your course.
To join a catering course, you will need to purchase a uniform pack. This pack contains:
- chef white
- selection of knifes and other relevant small equipment
- safety shoes
- restaurant uniform.
The cost of this pack is discussed at interview stage.
If you are on a limited income, you may be able to receive help from our Learner Support Funding Bursary.
To keep our students and staff safe, we’re reducing the number of people in our buildings at one time.
To achieve this, most of our courses will include sessions taught at the college supported by online learning to help you reach your full potential.
Find out more about how we’ve adapted due to COVID-19.
Fees and applications
Please hover over the ‘i’ button to find out more about course fees and applications.
|Course Code||Dates||Duration||Days||Hours per week||Start Time||Location||Fee|
|LGF1804C01-1||07/09/2020 - 23/06/2021||1 years||Enquire||9.00||Enquire||College Green Centre||Enquire Apply|
|LMF1804C01-1||03/09/2020 - 23/06/2021||1 years||Enquire||Enquire||Enquire||SBSA||Enquire Apply|