Course overviewIntroduction to Professional Cookery Level 1 for school leavers City of Bristol College
Level 1 Diploma in Introduction to Professional Cookery course is suitable for people who want to learn the professional skills required in the hospitality and catering industry.
You will be taught through theory-based lessons and supported by practical sessions to develop the range of knowledge and understanding required to start a career in hospitality.
Who is this course for?
The Level 1 Diploma in Introduction to Professional Cookery is a professional catering course
It’s a one-year, vocational course that will give you an overview of:
- working in catering and hospitality industry
- practical skills
- food and drink service
This course for school leavers aged 16-18.
What you'll learn
The course covers a range of units. These can include:
- Introduction to the catering and hospitality industry
- Food safety in catering
- Health and safety awareness for catering and hospitality
- Introduction to healthier foods and special diets
- Introduction to kitchen equipment
- Introduction to personal workplace skills
- Prepare and cook food by boiling, poaching and steaming
- Prepare and cook food by stewing and braising
- Prepare and cook food by baking, roasting and grilling
- Prepare and cook food by deep frying and shallow frying
- Regeneration of pre-prepared food
- Cold food preparation
Additional skills development:
- Customer service
- Restaurant skills
As a full-time student at City of Bristol College, you will follow a study programme consisting of a vocational course, maths and English, employability skills, work experience, volunteering and tutorial.
Course entry requirements
To join this course you will need:
- 2 x grade 3 GCSE to include English and Maths
- Interest in the catering and hospitality sector as a job.
How is the course delivered and assessed?
Your will be learning in classroom and in a work-based environment. This course is based at South Bristol Skills Academy.
You will also need to complete weekly self-directed work outside of college.
To complete this course, you must complete all 12 units and pass the following assessment:
Each of the six theory-based units are assessed using:
- Online exam
- Course work
- Question papers
Each of the six practical based units are assessed using:
- Question papers
- Practical exam
At the end of the course there are two end-of-year practical exams that assess the knowledge and understanding and skills over the whole course.
Future career and study opportunities
You could progress to one of the Level 2 courses offered at City of Bristol College
You may also go on to gain employment within the catering and hospitality industry
As a City of Bristol College student, you may incur additional costs to attend your course.
To join a catering course, you will need to purchase a uniform pack. This pack contains:
- chef white
- selection of knifes and other relevant small equipment
- safety shoes
- restaurant uniform.
The cost of this pack is discussed at the Course Information Meeting ( Interview).
If you are on a limited income, you may be able to receive help from our Learner Support Funding Bursary.
For guidance on which career path to take, to explore career options related to our courses, find out which careers are in demand, and then get the training you need.
- Blended learning details for university-level courses
Fees and applications
Please hover over the ‘i’ button to find out more about course fees and applications.
|Course Code||Dates||Duration||Days||Hours per week||Start Time||Location||Fee|
|LMF1974C01-1||01/09/2022 - 30/06/2023||1 years||Date/Day(s) Being Finalised||10.57||09:15||SBSA and Construction Centre||Apply|