Course overviewUnison Organising Stewards City of Bristol College
This course is for new stewards who have registered via Unison.
It is taught for 30 hours over eight weeks.
On completion of the course, you will achieve a level 1 award in Trade Unions Today.
Who is this course for?
This short, online course is for new stewards who have registered via Unison.
What you'll learn
You’ll learn to:
- understand the role of an organising union in the public services
- recognise the importance of equalities in UNISON
- work with members to tackle issues in the workplace
- work with members in resolving cases
- know where and when to seek advice and guidance
- understand how procedures work in practice
- handle grievance and disciplinary and similar types of cases as the representative of UNISON members within your workplace
- be certified as competent to accompany members at a disciplinary or grievance hearing in order to comply with the Employment Relations Act 1999
- understand the broader roles in which UNISON operates, including internationally.
Course entry requirements
To enrol on this course you will need:
- Access to internet
- To be a new steward, registered with Unison
How is the course delivered and assessed?
This course is currently delivered online with full tutor support.
Assessment is continual, there are no exams.
Future career and study opportunities
You may continue to more Unison courses.
To keep everyone safe, we’ve reduced the number of people in our buildings at one time. Most of our courses are online for the time being.