On this page:
It is never too late to start an adult course – whether it is for career progression, personal development or fun.
We are passionate about education and giving everyone the opportunity to learn, no matter their age. Each year, hundreds of adults leave the college with a new qualification and a skill for life.
Adult learners face several barriers to learning, including financial, personal and employment-related. But City of Bristol College can support its older students with concessions available on tuition fees, as well as other payment options.
How can I fund my course?
If you are aged 19 or over and going to study a Level 3 or higher course, you may be eligible to apply for the Advanced Learner Loan to help you fund your studies.
You only start repaying the loan once you finish your course and earn more than £26,575 per year. Your repayments will stop if your income falls below this.
If you take out an Advanced Learner Loan:
- to pay for an Access to Higher Education qualification and later complete a higher education course, Student Finance England will write-off any outstanding Advanced Learner Loan balance.
- you may be eligible for financial support to help pay for travel, childcare or equipment depending upon your household income.
What courses for adults are available?
Click on a specific course page to find out more about how you’ll be taught, entry requirements and costs.
We offer courses in the following areas:
Not sure university it the route for you? Our University Centre offers a wide range of higher education courses while providing focused and individualised support to all students as well as smaller class sizes compared to universities.
Learn from our industry-experienced, professional lecturers and gain a quality education which has been awarded TEF Silver.
Not only this but you will also benefit from more affordable tuition fees and courses that are validated by reputable universities such as the University of the West of England, Bath Spa and the University of Plymouth.
Find out about the full and part-time study options on our University Centre pages or call 0117 912 5143.
City of Bristol College has five state-of-the-art centres based throughout Bristol and South Gloucestershire. Every centre offers courses for adults and you’ll find each one has its own personality,
- Advanced Engineering Centre at Parkway
- Ashley Down Centre
- College Green Centre
- Motor Vehicle Technology Centre at Parkway
- South Bristol Skills Academy
City of Bristol College – Advanced Engineering Centre, Advanced Engineering Centre, New Road, Stoke Gifford, Bristol, UK
Ashley Down Centre, Ashley Down Road, Ashley Down, Bristol, UK
City of Bristol College – College Green Centre, Saint George's Road, Bristol, UK
City of Bristol College – Motor Vehicle Technology Centre, New Road, Stoke Gifford, Bristol, UK
City of Bristol College – South Bristol Skills Academy, Skills Academy (SBSA, The Boulevard, Hengrove, Park, Bristol, UK
How do I apply?
Application information for adults (aged 19+)
If you’re interested in a college course for adults (anything up to level 3), you can apply using the following steps:
- Go to the course’s webpage.
- Courses currently open for enquiries, applications or online enrolments, will have a blue button(s) at the base of the course page.
After you’ve applied, we’ll be in touch with details about your next steps. We may need to contact you to check your suitability for the course you’ve applied for. This could include:
- an online or telephone assessment
- a short English and/or maths assessment
- requesting evidence of your previous qualifications.
We will guide you through every step of the way.
If you’re interested in a university-level course, follow the guidance below.
How to apply for a university-level course
- If you want to study a full-time course, you’ll need to apply through UCAS.
- If you want to study part-time, you can enquire through the course webpage to start your application.
Find out more on our dedicated webpage: How to apply for higher education and university-level courses.