English and Maths change lives
English and Maths are the most important skills and qualifications you need, to make progress in your life.
Every course for school leavers includes English and Maths development. We want all of our students to gain English and Maths at Level 2. These qualifications will:
- support you to progress and pass your chosen course.
- support your progression onto higher levels of study, an apprenticeship or university.
- support your future employment and opportunities for promotion and higher pay.
Will I study English and Maths?
English and Maths pay
Most employers need their employees to have at least GCSE Grade 4 (C) or Level 2 Functional Skills in both English and Maths.
English and Maths qualifications could be the difference that gets you the apprenticeship, job or promotion you want.
You’re more likely to get into uni
The majority of universities want applicants to have achieved at least Grade 4 (C) at GCSE level or Level 2 in Functional Skills in English and Maths.
Getting these grades will boost your chances of getting into university.
We use English and Maths skills every day
We use English and Maths skills at home, when we socialise and in the work place.
A good level of understanding means that you can have more control over things in your personal life like your finances, communication, and you can gain a better understanding of issues such as politics and current affairs.
How you'll develop your English and Maths skills
- If you already have a GCSE Grade 2 or 3 in English and Maths, or Level 1 Functional Skills, you’ll be supported to achieve a higher grade of 4 or above.
- If you’ve already achieved an entry-level Functional Skills qualification, you will progress to the next entry level or to Level 1 Functional Skills if you’ve already achieved Entry Level 3
- If you don’t have any English or Maths qualifications, you will be individually assessed and placed at the best level for you to succeed. You can also book into Study Plus if you need extra support.