Course overviewDesign, Surveying and Planning for Construction City of Bristol College
The T Level in Design, Surveying and Planning for Construction has been designed to ensure students have the knowledge, skills and behaviours needed to progress into skilled employment or progress into higher level technical study in the construction sector.
The course will introduce learners to key industry topics such as planning, construction methods, environment and digital engineering techniques.
This T Level will be offered from September 2024.
Who is this course for?
This course is for anyone aged 16-18 who wants to pursue a career in construction, specifically in surveying and design, civil engineering, building services design, or hazardous materials surveying.
What you'll learn
All students will develop a general understanding of construction, including:
- health and safety
- the science behind building design, surveying and planning
- making accurate and appropriate measurements
- construction methods
- building regulations and standards
- data management and information standards in construction
- relationship management and customer service
- how the Internet of Things (IoT) impacts construction
- digital engineering techniques
- mathematical techniques to solve construction problems
- construction design principles and processes
- the construction industry and its role in the economy
- sustainability and the environmental impact of construction
- business, commerce and corporate social responsibility
They will also learn about topics specific to building services engineering, including:
- building technology principles
- building services engineering systems
- maintenance principles
- tools, equipment and materials
In addition to the core content, each student must choose one of the following specialisms:
- electrical and electronic equipment engineering
- electrotechnical engineering
Course entry requirements
To join this course, you must have GCSE English and Maths at grade 4.
Students should also have one of the following: 4 GCSEs at grade 4 and above (Including English and Maths) or a relevant Level 2 qualification in Engineering or Electrical Installation.
How is the course delivered and assessed?
The course is delivered 80% in a classroom setting and 20% via a work placement consisting of a minimum 45 days in industry, which must be completed to achieve the T Level
The T Level is assessed through assignments, exams and practical projects that demonstrate the applied knowledge, skills and behaviours specified in the framework.
Future career and study opportunities
This course is suitable for anyone wanting a career in construction. Students can progress into roles such as:
- Engineering Construction Craftworker
- Engineering Construction Technician
- Engineering Maintenance Technician
- Security Systems Installer
- Building Services Engineer
- Smart Meter Installer
- Electrical Engineering Technician
You may also progress into higher education or technical training via a degree or an apprenticeship in a relevant vocation.
As a City of Bristol College student, you may incur additional costs to attend your course. For example, it is likely you may need to pay for travel and stationery.
Many courses offer learning opportunities that you may need to pay for. This may include things like study visits and visiting speakers. We will let you know in advance if there will be additional costs.
If you are on a limited income, you may be able to receive help from our Learner Support Funding Bursary.
For guidance on which career path to take, to explore career options related to our courses, find out which careers are in demand, and then get the training you need.