Course overviewEarly Childhood Studies Top-up Year City of Bristol College
This one-day-a-week in College programme is for students who have studied a Foundation Degree in Early Years who want to get a full honours degree. You will continue to work alongside your studies in this contemporary and exciting programme.
Institution name: BCBA
Institution code: B20
Course code: X333
Who is this course for?
The course is designed for early years practitioners wishing to obtain a full degree while working. It is an excellent progression route for those wishing to progress to teacher training.
What you'll learn
You will cover topics such as:
- The changing nature of early childhood education
- Pedagogy and culture
- Differing perspectives of early childhood education
- Contemporary issues in society
- Democracy and children’s rights
- Children’s mark-making and symbolic representation
- Leadership and teamwork
- Research skills
- Reflective practice
Course entry requirements
Students usually need one or more of the following:
- Foundation Degree in Early Years or equivalent
- At least two years’ experience working with children from birth to eight years
- Current employment working with children in the Early Years Foundation Stage (birth to eight years) or KS1 for at least two days per week
- Written support from your workplace offering a mentor and/or day release is essential
You will also need DBS clearance.
How is the course delivered and assessed?
This course will build on knowledge gained through the Foundation Degree and challenge you to further develop your thinking and practice. The course runs one day a week and you will study five modules including an education dissertation.
Lecturers on the course are qualified to a Master’s Degree Level and have wide experiences of the Early Childhood industry. Staff also have workplace experience and strong connections with Bath Spa University and early childhood networks in Bristol.
Trips are organised to educational establishments including a local Forest School and Beach School. Students are also given time to visit other local early years settings of their choice.
You will be assessed through:
- Group work
Future career and study opportunities
Following completion students can progress to study higher level qualifications such as an MA or undertake teaching training by completing a PGCE. It is also an excellent foundation for other careers within the early childhood sector or wider community.
To keep everyone safe, we’ve reduced the number of people in our buildings at one time. Most of our courses are online for the time being.