The Brislington Centre: Independent Living in Bristol
The Brislington Centre is a residential, independent living training facility in Bristol, supporting students with additional needs who are currently enrolled on to a full-time course with us.
40 School Road, Brislington, Bristol, BS4 4NN
On this page:
At the Brislington Centre students stay overnight from Sunday through to Friday, returning home over weekends and college holidays.
The Brislington Centre is managed in partnership with Bristol City Council.
What you can learn at the centre
During their time at the house, students develop skills for independent living. This includes cleaning, cooking and washing, as well as learning how to use public transport.
We plan individual learning programmes with each student. We encourage students to work on these during their time at home.
Learn independent living skills
Students will learn to:
- Plan and prepare healthy meals.
- Launder clothes.
- Shop for food and other essentials.
- Maintaining personal hygiene.
- Manage a food budget.
- Plan a journey and use public transport.
- Stay safe and healthy. For example, learning to use household appliances.
Students will learn about:
- Communication (suitable for the workplace).
- Remembering instructions.
- Being punctual and travel planning.
Gain work experience
Students will have:
- The opportunity to take part in work experience.
- Support from staff at the house and at college.
Students will have the opportunity to:
- Work on projects with fellow college students.
- Visit friends and family in Bristol (from the house).
- Participate in social activities at the house and in the community.
Independent living facilities and grounds
The Brislington Centre is a space that contains all the facilities residents need in order to live independently.
Our students live in eco apartments.
Read Bristol Homes information about the Brislington Centre eco apartments.
The grounds are approximately one acre. They include a polytunnel and outdoor classroom where the students work on their own kitchen garden.
We have a number of raised planting beds across the garden. We are planning an accessible walkway and an orchard to make use of the full garden area.
Our new independent living facility coming soon
We are thrilled to announce that owing to the immense success of the Brislington Centre, we will be opening another residential training facility on the site of our Ashley Down Centre!
Here are some early impressions of how the new facility will look. Look out for more information coming soon!
Get in touch
We’d love to hear from you.
Please call Adam Metcalfe on 0117 377 1990 or email email@example.com
We offer independence training alongside your course at City of Bristol College. At our Open Events you can meet staff and current residents and look around our residential training facility. We look forward to meeting you!
You can see the Open Event dates for 2022/23.
To book onto an Open Event, call Adam Metcalfe on 0117 377 1990 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Apply to be a Brislington Centre resident
Who can apply to stay at the Centre
- Students must have an Educational, Health and Care Plan
- Students must be aged 18-24 years old
- Students must have an address within the Bristol City Council area
- Students must have completed at least one year of study at the City of Bristol College
All four of these criteria must be met in order to apply.
If you would like to be considered for a place, please complete the application form.
Videos for residents
We’ve made some videos to help you with some independent living, daily tasks at the Brislington centre.
You can explore all videos on our YouTube channel.