Course overviewHair Professional Level 2 Apprenticeship City of Bristol College
This two-year Hair Professional Level 2 Apprenticeship Standards will help guide you towards a career in hairdressing.
You will gain professional knowledge and skills through experience in the workplace and through once-a-week sessions in College at our City Salon.
You will be paid by your employer while completing your apprenticeship. You need to find your own employer as part of your application for an apprenticeship, but we will help you with this.
Who is this course for?
This apprenticeship is available to young people aged 16-18 and adults aged 19 and over, who are committed to training and developing professionally while working in a hairdressing salon environment.
You will need to secure an apprenticeship position with an employer. If you are already employed in an appropriate role, your employer could choose to support your apprenticeship training by working with the College.
What you'll learn
You will complete a series of modules towards your Intermediate Hair professional for which you will gain a qualification.
- You will continue to work within sector while gaining further knowledge and skills of being a Hairdresser
- You will work with your workplace assessor to gain the knowledge and skills ready for your end point assessment
- You will use the knowledge and skills from your college delivery and workplace training to demonstrate to your end point assessor how these skills and knowledge are put into practice in the workplace
- You will also need to complete 20% off the job training
- Functional skills in English & Maths at Level 1 and also work towards Level 2
Course entry requirements
You will need to be employed in a hairdressing environment as an apprentice. You will also need:
- to be working between 30-40 hours each week
- English and Maths GCSEs at Grade 4 (C) or above or to be willing to work towards these functional skills
You will need enthusiasm, commitment to succeed, good communications skills, and an excellent record of attendance.
How is the course delivered and assessed?
Your Diploma will be delivered once a week within the college over the duration of your apprenticeship, this will consist of knowledge which is class taught and practical salon sessions.
At the end of your apprenticeship you will complete an end point assessment with an external assessor to gain your apprenticeship certificate.
You will be assigned a work based college assessor who will guide you through your apprenticeship to end point assessment in conjunction with your employer.
Your work based assessor will also carry out work based assessments to enable you to gain your Diploma.
Future career and study opportunities
When you complete this apprenticeship, the natural progression would be to the Advanced Apprenticeship which includes the Level 3 Hairdressing Diploma. This will give you a broader range and quality of skills, a deeper understanding of the industry, and a wider variety of future employment opportunities.
Alternatively, you could seek employment as a junior stylist. We will work closely with your employer to provide the support you need to succeed in your chosen career.
As a City of Bristol College student, you may incur additional costs to attend your course. For example, it is likely you may need to pay for travel and stationery.
You will need to buy your hairdressing kit (approximately £120) and materials (approximately £30).
If you are on a limited income, you may be able to receive help from our Learner Support Funding Bursary.
For guidance on which career path to take, to explore career options related to our courses, find out which careers are in demand, and then get the training you need.
- Blended learning details for university-level courses