Sensory impairment support
We strive to provide an accessible environment for all students. If you have a hearing or visual impairment, we have specialist support available for you.
We’ll tailor any support around your needs. Our aim is to encourage independence and make sure you enjoy all aspects of college life.
Deaf and Hard of Hearing support
We offer comprehensive specialist support for D/deaf and hard of hearing students.
We have a team of highly-qualified and experienced Communication Support Workers (CSW). Our CSWs work with D/deaf and hard of hearing students across all college sites on all levels of courses.
Our CSWs can support you:
- In class for all taught sessions, including note taking
- During breaks and lunchtimes, if required
- For any travel training
- During Study Plus sessions
- During work experience
- For extra Study Support sessions
- For any college meetings and information events
- For all college trips and outings
- For EHCP review preparation and meetings
Other Deaf and Hard of Hearing support
- One-to-one transition and progress mentoring
- Support with Exam Access Arrangements
- Liaising with families
- Deaf Awareness Training for staff
- Adaptation of materials
- Support for subject tutors
- Regular check ins with a Deaf Support Coordinator
- Translation Assignment Support (research, materials, translation and adaptation)
- Transcribing from BSL to English for written work
- Support to access the Deaf Community
Visual impairment support
We provide a range of specialist support for students with a visual impairment. This includes:
- Assistive technology.
- Assistive software (including speech-to-text software and screen readers).
- Differentiation of course materials, books, and virtual learning environment.
- Orientation to familiarise yourself with your college centre.
- Visual Impairment Awareness Training for staff.
- In-class support.
Tell us about your support needs
You’ll also need to learn to tell us about your support needs, so we can make plans together.
Fill in the form below or call our Learning Support team on 0117 312 5186.
If you can’t see the form below, please reload the webpage.