Speech, Language and Communication Needs (SLCN) support
We have specialist support available for students with Speech, Language and Communication Needs (SLCN).
We have an experienced full-time Speech and Language Therapist, that works with young adults with a wide range of SLCN.
Support available from our Speech and Language Therapist
- Comprehensive formal and informal assessments and in-class observations.
- Detailed reports outlining students’ strengths and needs. This includes strategies to help students communicate with others.
- Group therapy. This is tailored to each individual and focuses on a specific set of targets that are regularly reviewed.
- Differentiated and effective resources to engage and motivate students.
- Speech and Language Therapy awareness training for staff. This gives staff strategies to use in the classroom.
Areas we work on
Speech and fluency
- Unclear speech. For instance, if a student has to repeat what they have said for others to understand.
- Difficulties saying some sounds.
- Difficulties saying longer words and sentences clearly.
- Fast speech rate.
- Stammers or experiences blocks/pauses when speaking.
Understanding of language
- Difficulties following spoken instructions/questions. For instance, needing extra time to process these or for them to be repeated.
- Difficulties understanding the words people use.
- Difficulties learning and remembering new words.
Use of spoken language
- Difficulties organising their ideas/words to tell other people what they need.
- Difficulties finding the words they want to say.
- Difficulties initiating, maintaining and/or ending conversations •Limited or no speech and requiring support with Alternative and Augmentative Communication (AAC). For instance, Makaton, communication apps/devices.
Tell us about your support needs
You’ll also need to learn to tell us about your support needs, so we can make plans together.
Fill in the form below or call our Learning Support team on 0117 312 5186.
If you can’t see the form below, please reload the webpage.