Speech and Language Therapy at City of Bristol College
Our experienced team of Speech and Language Therapists provide a flexible service, tailored to the needs of the students, their families and carers. We support young adults to gain confidence in communicating, increase their independence and achieve their goals for the future.
We can help young people who have difficulties with:
- Listening and attention
- Social communication
- Understanding spoken language
- Using spoken language
- Speech sounds and fluency (stammering)
- Use of AAC (communication aids)
We provide a range of input to best meet the needs of students, college staff and parents/carers, such as:
Whole college approaches
- Consultation and advice to help staff recognise, understand and support students with speech and language needs.
- Accredited training and workshops to further develop staff skills and knowledge.
- Communication audits and advice on how to provide a ‘communication friendly’ environment within the college.
- Whole class observations and joint planning/ teaching with tutors.
- Giving parents, teachers, learning assistants and mentors strategies and resources to help young people achieve their goals.
- Group therapy sessions, focusing on skills such as verbal reasoning, word-learning strategies or social skills.
- Personalised support to help learners access college and the community to their full potential.
- Functional assessment, therapy and targets aligned with the curriculum, EHCP outcomes and the young person’s hopes for the future.
- Identification of key areas of need with evidenced-based recommendations.
- Comprehensive assessments and reports, contributions to EHCP applications or reviews.
- Liaison with parents, carers and other professionals.
If you would like more information about Speech and Language Therapy at City of Bristol College, please contact: