Course overviewEarly Years Foundation Degree City of Bristol College
This two-year Early Years Foundation Degree is run at City of Bristol College, in partnership with Bath Spa University.
This exciting, work-based programme is proven to raise the quality of practice in early years settings. It will empower you to transform your practice through reflection and research.
Institution name: BCBC
Institution code: B77
Course code: X310
Campus code: B
Short code: FdA/EY
Who is it for?
The course is aimed at those who are currently working as early years practitioners and wish to gain a Level 5 qualification. This may lead to Early Years Teacher Status, a career in management within the sector or teaching.
What you'll learn
By the end of the course you will have demonstrated the knowledge, skills and attitudes relevant to good early years practice and you will have understood the theory underpinning early years education and care in different settings. The course consists of seven modules and may cover topics such as:
- Children’s Rights
- Society and Culture
- Social Policy
- Safeguarding Children
- Children’s Holistic Health
- Positionality, Inclusion and Diversity
- How Children Learn
- Observation and Assessment
- Multi-agency Working and Leadership
- Partnership with Parents/Carers
- Reflective Practice
- Action Research
- Inclusion and Diversity
Students usually need one or more of the following:
- Level 3 qualification in Early Years
- At least two years’ experience working with children from birth to eight years
- Current employment working with children in the Early Years Foundation Stage (birth to eight years) or KS1 for at least two days per week
- Written support from your workplace offering a mentor and/or day release is essential
- DBS clearance.
You will require an interview for this course.
How is the course delivered and assessed?
You will be assigned a tutor who will observe your practice and support your professional development. You will spend eight hours per week in College and a minimum of two days per week in the workplace.
You will be assessed through:
- Group work
Future career and study opportunities
After the course, you could:
- apply to study BA (Hons) Early Childhood Studies Top-Up Year at City of Bristol College or another relevant degree
- use the course as a pathway into teaching
- progress in your career with your new Level 5 qualification.
As a City of Bristol College student, you may incur additional costs to attend your course. For example, it is likely you may need to pay for travel and stationery.
Many courses offer learning opportunities that you may need to pay for. This may include things like study visits and visiting speakers. We will let you know in advance if there will be additional costs.
Find out more about financial support available to you.
To keep our students and staff safe, we’re reducing the number of people in our buildings at one time.
To achieve this, most of our courses will include sessions taught at the college supported by online learning to help you reach your full potential.
Find out more about how we’ve adapted due to COVID-19.
Fees and applications
Please hover over the ‘i’ button to find out more about course fees and applications.
|Course Code||Dates||Duration||Days||Hours per week||Start Time||Location||Fee|
|HBF1524A01-1||15/09/2020 - 22/06/2021||2 years||Tues||Enquire||09:00||Ashley Down Centre||
This course costs £6000 per year. You can fund your studies with a Student Loan. Visit our Financial Support page to find out more.